Tuesday, August 3, 2010

"M" to the "E", to the double-"T." ... Mettmann. Mettmann

So many things happened in this city where my favorite German Comedians Hape Kerkeling has danced the samba before.

In big fashion, our visit started with an invitation at the mayor's house, where were welcomed by the leader of the city who gave us an insight into the "specialty" of Mettmann. It's the city of the Neanderthal... most of us didn't know that about that city, so it was definitely educational. The mayor and the organization staff showed a lot of enthusiasm about the upcoming event and made us feel very special.


In the end, we were allowed to signed our names into the city's guestbook, and took a picture with the proud mayor.

Signing the guestbook in Mettmann
Somehow we managed to "serve" the mayor a shirt that was a tad bit too small... but he showed to be a great sport and sported it the next day at the game against Belgium.
WHERE'S LINDA????? can you find me?
Unfortunately we weren't able to win against Belgium, not at home  on Saturday (in Mettmann) nor on Sunday in Sprimont, Belgium.

Maybe it was still the fluke that I had brought onto our team at the day of our away game in the Netherlands... I had painted my fingernails in German flag colors: red-black-gold.... BUT... I messed up with the order in which I painted them... I lined them up like the Belgium flag... no wonder Belgium won twice... I had secretively had been their supporter. Shame on me! I am sorry ladies.

But hey, that's what this preparation phase is all about: to get all types of the little faux-paux out of the way. That's why it's called PRACTICE GAMES!

Speaking of practice, here are two pics from us riding back to the hotel after practice... in our Escalade team bus ;)


THANK YOU METTMANN for a great event.
Thanks for laying out the wooden floor... especially for us!!!!! For athletes, that's like rolling out the Red Carpet.

Now we are off to București (Bucharest, Romania) tomorrow morning.

Photos at the Mayor's house: courtesy of Dietrich Janicki

No comments: