Monday, March 9, 2009

DEPENDENCY

After quite a busy week, I was looking forward to a relaxing Sunday at home.
Watching the Euroleague All-Star Game online, as well as catching up on some emails, and following my old team from Italy (Cras Basket Taranto) at the Coppa Italia-- that's a weekend tournament where they fight for the Italian Cup... last year we had fallen short and lost in the finals with 1 points with a last second layup of Shannon Johnson. I also had some shows to catch up on online, and some chats "lined up" throughout the day.

But guess what?

My internet was down.... AAAAAAAAAAhhhhhh!

An absolute nightmare for me while I am over here... and I believe that many other overseas players will understand the severity of such an event. The second I turned on my computer and the internet logo didn't come on, I knew that I was in trouble.

All of a sudden I had the urge to get ALL THESE THINGS done online, but most of all and worst of all, my phone runs through the internet. So I wasn't able to make any phonecalls without spending a fortune. I don't have a houseline, so it would have been ridiculous to ask anyone to call me on my cell, so there I was, ISOLATED from the WORLD... in my little one-bedroom apartment in Brno!

It actually scared me. Or rather, I scared myself!! The way I felt helpless all day long. The way my mind was creating all kinds of things that NEEDED to get done right there and then. The way I was making sure that my family and friends would know that I was okay, and that I would be back on "the net" soon. WOW!

Luckily I was able to remember how I used to live life a couple of years ago, and I resorted back to skills like reading a book, or taking a walk in the city.

Today at 5 p.m. I got the word: the internet is back on!!
The apartment complex had gotten a new provider (I'm not going to call names... even though deep down inside I want to ruin their business and warn everyone to not ever use their services again...after what they had done to me).
My landlord called me a few minutes ago and apologized. She said that there had been a big problem. "OH REALLY, NO KIDDIN'?" was my response while grinding my teeth. But believe me, she knew the truth. I think after I had called her yesterday to let her know that I wouldn't be able to make it throughout the day, she made sure that I would be the first to know.

Alright, so as my life is back to normal now, I am going to catch up on some things real quick.

My cousin from Germany is actually coming to visit for a couple of days today, and she should be here any minute. I am really excited. I haven't really hung out with her since we've been young teenager, so I am expecting a fun-loaded time.

No comments: